Fast Facts about Living in PNG


Here Signature Staff will provide you with some fast facts about living in PNG.

All foreign visitors to PNG require a visa to enter.  Since July 2016, Australians visiting PNG for tourism are able to apply for a visa on arrival.

If you want to work in PNG, you and your prospective employer need to apply for a work permit before you can start work. Work permit is granted by the Secretary, Department of Labour and Industrial Relation.

To qualify for a work permit, you should hold a degree or other relevant qualifications to your field of employment plus solid work experience.

As a member of APEC, PNG recognises the APEC Business Travel Card. Employment in PNG is prohibited whilst on a business Visa (except in very limited cases). The Business Short Term Multiple Entry Permit is valid for 12 months with a stay of up to 60 days permitted on each arrival.


PNG’s currency is the Kina. Both ANZ and Bank South Pacific have branches at Port Moresby’s international airport. There are ATMs throughout most parts of the country.


Web access in Port Moresby has improved in recent years. Fast-speed internet service and wireless via a USB modem, is now available in PNG.

Mobile Roaming is possible in PNG but it is costly. You are better off to buy a local SIM card from local operators Digicel and Bemobile.


The current in PNG is 240V AC 50Hz using Australian-style plugs.


Serious medical conditions typically require treatment outside of the country. Individuals travelling to PNG should ensure they have adequate health cover (the cost of medical evacuation alone can reach US$30,000), while foreign companies operating in PNG should have a comprehensive health plan in place.


For school aged children, there are international primary and secondary schools in PNG. The teachers in International schools are mainly expatriate themselves.

For high school-aged children, the schools follow the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) curriculum. In addition, there is scope to attain the International Certificate of Secondary Education in Year 10 and International Baccalaureate in Year 12.


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This