Only a few years ago health and wellness of employees was not part of the business or companies strategies. The balance between work and life was not considered as an important issue.
However, in today’s market and in some companies one of the top priorities is the wellness, job satisfaction and general health and happiness of their employees.
Google being number 1 employer of choice in Australia and number 4 in US for 2010. Well wow, who would not want to work in the Googleplex? What an amazing work environment!!! SAS was number 1 on the list for 2010 in US and offers high quality child care and a 90% of health insurance amongst other things.
- High performance team
- Greater commitment and accountability
- Customer satisfaction
- Reduced absenteeism
- Attracting right candidates to the business
- Staff retention
- Increase in job satisfaction
- Improve staff morale
- Reduction in injuries
- Increase in bottom line
Any boss, head honcho or company director would like to surround themselves with a thriving, happy and vibrant team that fill the work environment with laughter and motivation.
SME (Small and Medium Enterprises) which is Australian’s largest employer-group cannot compete with Google’s relaxing areas and the mini golf or by giving private health insurance covers for all their employees simply because they just cannot afford it.
However, there are so many ways in how you can achieve the same results with minimal or no cost associated to it.
- Involve all staff in decision making � everyone wants to be part of a successful team. Employees involved in decision making feel empowered that they are an essential link with the day to day running of the business.
- Suggestion box � Get the creative juices flowing. Creative teams make great leaders.
- Get behind a community project or fund-raising for a charity �Help the local school with their playground project, volunteer to help out in a aged care facility or do the “Light the Night”- “The World’s Greatest Shave” for the Leukemia foundation.
- Plant a tree day � You can pick up trees from your local council find out where you can plant them. Make it a day of it; finish it off with a barbeque.
- Have a daily motivational, inspiring quotes or a joke � Nothing better then starting work with a smile on your face.
- Praise and encourage employees � Say thank you, great job, do the high fives or the woo-hoo sounds.
- Have an open door policy � Let the staff feel comfortable to come to you and discuss what is on their mind.
- Pay for the yearly Flu injections � Not expensive, no sick days and healthy environment all year through.
- Health Funds � Contact Health Funds and look into Corporate Cover that the employees can have a reduced package for themselves or families that is then deducted from their wages and does not affect the Company cash flow, but offers a substantially reduced amount to the employees.
- Close the office and take staff out on special days � Do it for special occasions such as Companies Birthday, Secretaries Day or Melbourne Cup day.
- Get your clients to suggest an employee of the month � by having your clients voting and not yourself will ensure the trust and honesty in your team. You might find that your clients would want to participate simply because they are contributing to something positive.
- Flexible working hours � If the business can sustain the flexibility of work, well let your staff work the hours they can to fit with their personal circumstances.
- Health and fitness check � Run a seminar for your employees or get them into a health practitioner for general health checks.
- Organise 10 min shoulder massage for your employees � Nothing better than having your employees de-stress in their working environment.
- Get to know your employees � Listen and observe your staff. Know where they at; what are their desires and goals; what do they what to achieve in life. Observe the body language and tune into your employees to observe any signs of concerns.
- Make a Birthday paid day off � It is only one day a year.
- Recognitions on their Birthdays – If you can’t afford a birthday gift a simple birthday card with a scratchie, a lotto ticket or a simple birthday cake will certainly bring a smile to anyone.
- Barbeque lunch � Do a sausage sizzle for your team. As a boss cooking for your staff, will gain you respect just because you have done something for your staff and have expected nothing in return.
- Bring a plate of food day � If possible have a communal lunch discussing the foods that everyone brought along � make it an International food day where everyone draws a nationality out of a hat and bring something from that country for everyone to sample.
Having a healthy, vibrant and happy working environment is a key to any business success.
“If you want results you’ve never had, you have to do something you’ve never done.”