DEALING WITH CHALLENGING OR AGGRESSIVE BEHAVIOUR
In some industries, including retail, health, community and employment services, workers may be in contact with clients who are confused, unwell and/or under the influence of alcohol and drugs including ‘ice’ (Crystal Methamphetamine)
In these situations, your employees may be at risk of injury or harm from intimidating, frightening, threatening, offensive or physically dangerous situation whilst at the workplace or other locations such as home visits.
Handling the emotional, physical and mental demands of a person can be very challenging.
The circumstances that result in incidences of challenging behaviour may be unique and there may be a number and range of contributory factors including:
- Unfamiliar environment and people
- Substance use
- Unmet needs
- Current mental health issues
- Legal issues
- Family issues (divorce / separation , custody)
- Feeling frightened or humiliated
- Grief / Loss
- Feeling frustrated at being unable to understand others or make themselves understood
- Noise, light and glare
First consider the number one rule:
Past Behaviour is the Best Predictor of Future Behavior!
Ensure careful consideration is taken, based on file notes and knowledge about past incidents, tendencies, diagnosis of conduct / personality disorder, drug use, etc
- Remove dangerous combinations such as:
- Isolated office / place of contact
- Young / inexperienced staff
- Lack of training
- Train your employees to watch out for warning signs, such as anxious or agitated behaviour or restlessness, and how to take appropriate actions
- Train your employees to avoid anything which could be antagonizing the issue. This could be a procedure, other people, equipment or even noise, light or glare
- Do joint visits / appointments when meeting clients who are:
- New assessments, unless negligible risk has already been identified
- Identified as a risk through risk assessment
How do I minimise the risk to my workers?
Whilst it is difficult to complete eliminate the risks of aggressive behaviour, a solid training program will have a large effect on the probability of an accident or incident happening.
TANDI training offering an online course that gives your employees the tools to strategically deal with aggressive people at a best practice level. Check it out here.
Do you have a friend or colleague you think will benefit from reading this?
Knowledge is one of today’s key assets. So why not forward this on to your friends and colleagues? Share knowledge and help people connect with one another.
We would like to share our expertise with you! To find out more, contact us here or call us on 07 4050 3888.
Mats Eriksson |Signature Staff